I have always been curious about how products are tested and how companies decide what to build next. That curiosity led me to research study platforms, where companies pay people to share their opinions and experiences. Two platforms kept appearing in my search: UserInterviews and Respondent. I spent five weeks testing both to see which one offered more suitable opportunities for earning. This is my honest breakdown.

Research studies are different from surveys. They are often longer, more involved, and much higher paid. Some are remote interviews. Others are unmoderated tasks. Both platforms promise access to these opportunities, but the experience on each was very different.

Key Takeaways From My 5-Week Comparison
  • I tested both platforms for 5 weeks, tracking every study application and payment.
  • Total earnings on Respondent: around $96.50 from 2 studies.
  • Total earnings on UserInterviews: $0.00 from 0 studies.
  • Respondent had more studies available for my demographic.
  • UserInterviews had fewer matches but higher pay per study.
  • Both platforms are free to join.
  • This is additional income only. Results vary by demographics, study availability, and your profile.

Why I Wanted to Compare These Two Platforms

I had heard good things about both platforms. Respondent is known for its higher-paying research studies. UserInterviews is known for its user experience research focus. I wanted to see which platform actually delivered opportunities for someone like me.

Another reason was the qualification process. Both platforms require you to fill out detailed profiles and apply for individual studies. I wanted to see which platform made it easier to get accepted into studies.

Signing Up and Getting Started

Respondent required a detailed profile and a short introduction video. I signed up, completed my profile, and started browsing available studies. The approval process was quick, and I could start applying immediately.

UserInterviews had a similar process. I created a profile, filled out my demographic information, and started applying for studies. The platform also required a phone number verification.

My Week-by-Week Experience

Weeks 1-2: Applying and Waiting

The first two weeks were mostly about applying for studies. On Respondent, I applied for 10 studies and was accepted into one: a 60-minute remote interview about online shopping habits. The pay was around $35.00. I completed the interview in week two.

On UserInterviews, I applied for 8 studies but was not accepted into any. The screening process felt more competitive.

Weeks 3-4: More Studies on Respondent

By week three, I was accepted into another study on Respondent: a 90-minute focus group about streaming services. The pay was around $61.50. I completed the focus group in week four.

On UserInterviews, I continued applying but still did not get accepted. The studies I matched with had high competition.

Week 5: Understanding the Differences

The final week made the differences clear. Respondent had more studies that matched my profile, and the application process felt more efficient. UserInterviews had fewer matches, and the competition for spots was intense.

By the end of week five, I had earned around $96.50 on Respondent and $0.00 on UserInterviews.

Study Types and Pay Rates

Criteria Respondent UserInterviews
Study types Interviews, focus groups Interviews, usability tests
Pay per study Around $30 – $100+ Around $50 – $150+
Study frequency Medium Low
Minimum payout Around $20 Around $50
Payment method PayPal PayPal, Gift Cards

Qualification and Acceptance Rates

This was the biggest difference between the two platforms. Respondent had more studies that matched my profile, and I was accepted into two out of ten applications. UserInterviews had fewer matching studies, and I was accepted into zero out of eight applications.

The qualification process on Respondent felt more efficient. The screening questions were clear, and I received responses quickly. On UserInterviews, the process felt slower, and the competition was more intense.

Comparing to Other Research Platforms

Criteria Respondent UserInterviews Prolific UserTesting
Study type Interviews, focus groups Interviews, tests Surveys, tasks Website tests
Pay per study High Very high Low-medium Medium
Study volume Medium Low High Medium
Beginner-friendly Medium Medium High High

If you want to see how Respondent compares to other platforms, I have a detailed review of Respondent research earnings and another comparison of Prolific vs. Respondent.

"Respondent felt more active and accessible. UserInterviews had higher pay per study but far fewer opportunities. For someone with my demographic, Respondent was the more suitable fit."

What I Liked and What Frustrated Me

Respondent Pros

  • More matching studies.
  • Quick screening process.
  • Higher pay per study.
  • Simple PayPal payments.
  • Professional study experience.

Respondent Cons

  • High competition for some studies.
  • Minimum payout threshold.
  • Limited study types.
  • Requires a video introduction.
  • Not all applications are accepted.

UserInterviews Pros

  • Higher pay per study.
  • Professional research focus.
  • Multiple payment options.
  • Well-designed studies.
  • Trusted by major companies.

UserInterviews Cons

  • Fewer matching studies.
  • High competition.
  • Slow screening process.
  • Higher minimum payout.
  • Harder to get accepted.

Who Should Choose Which Platform?

Choose Respondent if:

  • You want more study opportunities.
  • You prefer a faster screening process.
  • You are comfortable with interviews and focus groups.
  • You want solid pay per study.
  • You are looking for additional income from research studies.

Choose UserInterviews if:

  • You have a specific professional background.
  • You prefer higher pay per study.
  • You are willing to apply for fewer studies.
  • You are comfortable with usability tests.
  • You have patience for a competitive screening process.

My Honest Verdict

After five weeks of testing, I can say that Respondent was the more suitable platform for me. It had more matching studies, a faster screening process, and I actually earned money. UserInterviews is an established platform with higher pay per study, but the opportunities were too limited for my demographic.

For most people, using both platforms is a good strategy. Respondent provides more opportunities. UserInterviews adds occasional higher-paying studies. Together, they can create a reasonable side income from research studies.

Final Verdict

Respondent: 7.5/10 | UserInterviews: 6.5/10

Respondent is more suitable for accessibility. UserInterviews offers higher pay but fewer opportunities. Both are established platforms that pay reliably. Results vary by demographics and study availability.

If you want to explore other research study options, I have a guide on paid focus groups and another one covering online focus groups.

Frequently Asked Questions

Which is better, Respondent or UserInterviews?

Respondent is more suitable for accessibility and more study opportunities. UserInterviews offers higher pay per study but fewer matches. Using both together is often the most suitable approach.

Which platform pays more per study?

UserInterviews pays more per study on average, ranging from $50 to $150. Respondent studies pay $30 to $100. However, Respondent had more available studies. These are estimates and actual results vary by person.

Do both platforms pay through PayPal?

Yes. Both Respondent and UserInterviews pay through PayPal. UserInterviews also offers gift card options.

How long does it take to get accepted into a study?

On Respondent, I was accepted into my first study within two weeks. On UserInterviews, I did not get accepted into any studies during the five-week test.

Which platform has more studies available?

In my experience, Respondent had more studies available for my demographic. UserInterviews had fewer matching studies.

Can I use both platforms at the same time?

Yes. Many participants use both Respondent and UserInterviews to maximize their earnings from research studies.

Which platform has a lower payout threshold?

Respondent has a lower minimum payout at $20. UserInterviews requires $50. Both pay through PayPal.

Results vary by person. What worked for me may not work for everyone. The income figures mentioned are estimates based on my personal experience and are not typical or guaranteed.

Disclosure: Some of the links in this article point to external websites and platforms (such as Respondent, UserInterviews, and PayPal) for reference and convenience only. These are not affiliate links, and we do not receive any commission, payment, or compensation from them. We are not affiliated with or sponsored by these platforms. All external links are provided solely to help readers access the original sources easily, and the content of this article is purely educational.

Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is based on personal experience and research and is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It does not constitute financial, investment, business, career, tax, or professional advice. Individual results vary based on demographics, effort, market conditions, and numerous other factors. Income figures and results described are real examples but are not guarantees of what any individual will achieve. Platform policies, pay rates, and terms may change without notice. Always conduct your own research and consult with a qualified professional before making any financial decisions.

About | FAQ | Privacy Policy | Contact