Prolific vs CloudResearch An Honest Breakdown for Academic Studies Participants
I have participated in academic studies for years. Not because I love filling out surveys, but because the pay is usually higher than traditional survey sites. Two platforms dominate this space: Prolific and CloudResearch. I spent five weeks testing both to see which one offers a more suitable experience for participants. This is my honest breakdown based on real data.
Academic studies are different from marketing surveys. They are conducted by researchers who need real data for scientific projects. The pay is typically higher, and the studies are more interesting. But the availability can be inconsistent, and the qualification requirements are stricter.
- I tested both platforms for 5 weeks, tracking every study and payment.
- Total earnings on Prolific: around $74.30.
- Total earnings on CloudResearch: around $41.20.
- Prolific had more available studies but lower pay per study.
- CloudResearch had fewer studies but higher pay per study.
- Both paid through PayPal with low minimum thresholds.
- This is additional income only. Results vary by demographics, study availability, and your profile.
Why I Wanted to Compare These Two Platforms
I had been using Prolific for a while, but I kept hearing about CloudResearch as an alternative. Both platforms connect researchers with participants, but they have different approaches. Prolific is known for its large volume of studies. CloudResearch is known for higher-paying studies and more rigorous recruitment.
Another reason was the qualification process. Both platforms require you to fill out a detailed profile. I wanted to see which platform made better use of that profile to match me with relevant studies.
Signing Up and Getting Approved
The signup process was different on each platform. Prolific required me to create an account, verify my identity, and fill out a detailed demographic profile. I was approved within a few days.
CloudResearch had a similar process but required more information. I had to complete a longer profile and verify my phone number. Approval took about a week.
My Week-by-Week Experience
Week 1: Getting Started
My first week on Prolific was productive. I completed five studies, ranging from short surveys to longer cognitive tasks. The pay ranged from around $1 to $5 per study. I earned around $16.40 in week one.
On CloudResearch, I completed two studies in week one. The pay was higher per study, but the volume was lower. I earned around $9.80.
Weeks 2-3: Finding a Rhythm
By week two, I had a routine. I would check both platforms several times a day for available studies. Prolific consistently had more studies available. CloudResearch had fewer, but they often paid more.
In weeks two and three, I earned around $28.60 on Prolific and around $18.40 on CloudResearch.
Weeks 4-5: Understanding the Differences
The final two weeks made the differences clear. Prolific was reliable but the studies were often short and low-paying. CloudResearch had fewer studies, but the ones that appeared paid noticeably more.
By the end of week five, I had earned around $74.30 on Prolific and around $41.20 on CloudResearch.
Pay Rates and Study Availability
| Criteria | Prolific | CloudResearch |
|---|---|---|
| Average pay per study | Around $1 – $8 | Around $2 – $15 |
| Study volume | High | Medium |
| Minimum payout | Around $6 | Around $10 |
| Payment method | PayPal | PayPal, Gift Cards |
| Processing time | Instant | ~2 days |
Study Quality and Participant Experience
Prolific studies were generally well-designed and easy to complete. The platform has strict rules for researchers, which means participants are treated fairly. Payment is instant after study completion.
CloudResearch studies were also well-designed, but the platform felt less polished. Payment was slightly slower, but the studies often paid more for the same amount of time.
Comparing to Other Research Platforms
| Criteria | Prolific | CloudResearch | Respondent | UserInterviews |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Study volume | High | Medium | Low | Low |
| Pay per study | Low-Medium | Medium-High | High | High |
| Study type | Surveys, tasks | Surveys, tasks | Interviews | Interviews |
| Minimum payout | $6 | $10 | $20 | $50 |
If you want to see how Prolific compares to other platforms, I have a detailed comparison of Prolific vs. Respondent and another review of Prolific after 18 months.
"Prolific felt like a steady stream of small opportunities. CloudResearch felt like a smaller pool with bigger fish. Both are established, but your experience will depend on your demographics and how often you check for studies."
What I Liked and What Frustrated Me
Prolific Pros
- High study volume.
- Instant PayPal payouts.
- Low minimum payout.
- Fair treatment of participants.
- Clear study instructions.
Prolific Cons
- Lower pay per study.
- Studies fill up quickly.
- Requires frequent checking.
- Some studies are very short.
- Competition for spots is high.
CloudResearch Pros
- Higher pay per study.
- Less competition.
- Well-designed studies.
- PayPal and gift card options.
- More rigorous screening.
CloudResearch Cons
- Lower study volume.
- Higher minimum payout.
- Slower payment processing.
- Longer approval process.
- Fewer studies for some demographics.
Who Should Choose Which Platform?
Choose Prolific if:
- You want a steady stream of studies.
- You prefer instant payouts.
- You are comfortable with lower pay per study.
- You can check the platform frequently.
- You want a beginner-friendly experience.
Choose CloudResearch if:
- You prefer higher pay per study.
- You are willing to wait for studies to appear.
- You want less competition.
- You are comfortable with a higher minimum payout.
- You want more rigorous study designs.
My Honest Verdict
After five weeks of testing, I can say that both Prolific and CloudResearch are established platforms for academic studies. Prolific offers more volume and instant payouts. CloudResearch offers higher pay per study but fewer opportunities.
For most participants, using both platforms simultaneously is the most suitable approach. Prolific provides consistent small earnings. CloudResearch adds occasional higher-paying studies. Together, they can create a reasonable side income.
Final Verdict
Prolific is more suitable for consistency. CloudResearch offers higher pay per study but lower volume. Both are established platforms that pay reliably. Results vary by demographics and availability.
If you want to explore other research study options, I have a guide on paid focus groups and another one covering online focus groups.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is better, Prolific or CloudResearch?
Prolific is more suitable for consistent study availability and instant payouts. CloudResearch offers higher pay per study but fewer opportunities. Using both together is often the most suitable approach.
Which platform pays more per study?
CloudResearch pays more per study on average, ranging from $2 to $15. Prolific studies typically pay $1 to $8. However, Prolific has more available studies. These are estimates and actual results vary by person.
Do both platforms pay through PayPal?
Yes. Both Prolific and CloudResearch pay through PayPal. CloudResearch also offers gift card options.
How long does it take to get approved?
Prolific approved me within a few days. CloudResearch took about a week. Both require detailed demographic profiles.
Which platform has more studies available?
In my experience, Prolific had significantly more studies available. CloudResearch had fewer studies but they often paid more.
Can I use both platforms at the same time?
Yes. Many participants use both Prolific and CloudResearch to maximize their earnings from academic studies.
Which platform has a lower payout threshold?
Prolific has a lower minimum payout at $6. CloudResearch requires $10. Prolific also processes payments instantly.
Results vary by person. What worked for me may not work for everyone. The income figures mentioned are estimates based on my personal experience and are not typical or guaranteed.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article point to external websites and platforms (such as Prolific, CloudResearch, and PayPal) for reference and convenience only. These are not affiliate links, and we do not receive any commission, payment, or compensation from them. We are not affiliated with or sponsored by these platforms. All external links are provided solely to help readers access the original sources easily, and the content of this article is purely educational.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is based on personal experience and research and is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It does not constitute financial, investment, business, career, tax, or professional advice. Individual results vary based on demographics, effort, market conditions, and numerous other factors. Income figures and results described are real examples but are not guarantees of what any individual will achieve. Platform policies, pay rates, and terms may change without notice. Always conduct your own research and consult with a qualified professional before making any financial decisions.
About | FAQ | Privacy Policy | Contact
