FlexJobs vs Remote.co: An Honest Comparison for Finding Remote Jobs

I have been searching for remote work for a long time. Not just side gigs and micro-tasks, but actual remote jobs with regular hours and reliable pay. That search led me to two platforms: FlexJobs and Remote.co. I spent five weeks using both to see which one was more effective for finding legitimate remote job listings. This is my honest comparison.

Finding a real remote job is different from signing up for a survey site or a micro-task platform. It involves searching job listings, submitting applications, and waiting for responses. Both FlexJobs and Remote.co promise to make this process easier, but they take very different approaches.

Key Takeaways From My 5-Week Comparison
  • I used both platforms to search and apply for remote jobs for 5 weeks.
  • Total applications submitted through FlexJobs: 22.
  • Total applications submitted through Remote.co: 18.
  • FlexJobs required a paid subscription after a free trial.
  • Remote.co was completely free to use.
  • Neither platform resulted in a job offer during the test period.
  • This is additional income only if you land a job. Results vary by experience, industry, and application quality.

Why I Wanted to Compare These Two Platforms

I wanted to know if paid job boards were worth the money compared to free alternatives. FlexJobs is known for its paid subscription model and claims of scam-free listings. Remote.co is a free resource with curated remote job postings. The question was whether the paid platform actually delivered more suitable results.

Another reason was the quality of listings. Many free job boards are full of scams or low-quality postings. I wanted to see if FlexJobs' paid model actually resulted in higher-quality opportunities.

Signing Up and Getting Started

FlexJobs required me to create an account and sign up for a free trial. After the trial, the subscription cost around $25 per month. The signup process was simple, and I could start browsing jobs immediately.

Remote.co was completely free. I created an account, set up job alerts, and started browsing. No payment was required.

My Week-by-Week Experience

Week 1: Setting Up and Browsing

My first week was about understanding each platform. FlexJobs had a clean interface with advanced search filters. I could filter by job type, industry, and experience level. I found several remote jobs that matched my skills and submitted five applications.

Remote.co had a simpler interface. The job listings were curated, but there were fewer of them. I found three relevant jobs and submitted applications.

Weeks 2-3: Applying Consistently

By week two, I had a routine. I would check both platforms daily for new listings. FlexJobs consistently had more jobs available. I submitted 10 more applications over two weeks.

Remote.co had fewer new listings, but the quality seemed higher. I submitted 8 more applications. Neither platform resulted in an interview during this period.

Weeks 4-5: Understanding the Differences

The final two weeks made the differences clear. FlexJobs had more volume, but many listings were also available on free job boards. Remote.co had fewer listings, but they felt more curated.

By the end of week five, I had submitted 22 applications through FlexJobs and 18 applications through Remote.co. No job offers from either platform.

Features and User Experience

Criteria FlexJobs Remote.co
Cost Around $25/month after trial Free
Job volume High Medium
Search filters Advanced Basic
Listing quality High High
Scam protection Strong Moderate

Job Quality and Relevance

Both platforms had high-quality listings. I did not encounter any obvious scams on either platform. FlexJobs had more volume, which meant more relevant jobs for my skills. Remote.co had fewer listings, but they were well-curated.

The main difference was the search experience. FlexJobs had advanced filters that made it easy to find exactly what I was looking for. Remote.co had a simpler interface that required more manual browsing.

Comparing to Other Remote Job Boards

Criteria FlexJobs Remote.co We Work Remotely Remote OK
Cost Paid Free Free Free
Job volume High Medium Medium High
Listing quality High High High Medium
Search experience Advanced Basic Basic Basic

If you want to see how FlexJobs compares to other platforms, I have a detailed comparison of FlexJobs vs. SolidGigs and another guide on websites for remote work.

"FlexJobs felt more comprehensive with better search tools. Remote.co felt more curated but limited. Both had legitimate listings, but neither resulted in a job offer during my test."

What I Liked and What Frustrated Me

FlexJobs Pros

  • High volume of listings.
  • Advanced search filters.
  • Strong scam protection.
  • Clean interface.
  • Job alerts.

FlexJobs Cons

  • Requires paid subscription.
  • Many listings available elsewhere.
  • No guarantee of job offers.
  • Can be expensive for long-term use.
  • High competition for popular jobs.

Remote.co Pros

  • Completely free.
  • Curated listings.
  • High-quality jobs.
  • Simple interface.
  • No payment required.

Remote.co Cons

  • Fewer listings.
  • Basic search filters.
  • Less frequent updates.
  • Limited job categories.
  • Manual browsing required.

Who Should Choose Which Platform?

Choose FlexJobs if:

  • You are serious about finding a remote job.
  • You are willing to pay for a subscription.
  • You want advanced search tools.
  • You want access to a high volume of listings.
  • You value scam protection.

Choose Remote.co if:

  • You want a free resource.
  • You prefer curated listings over volume.
  • You are comfortable with manual browsing.
  • You want high-quality jobs without paying.
  • You are looking for remote work in specific industries.

My Honest Verdict

After five weeks of testing, I can say that both FlexJobs and Remote.co are established platforms for finding remote jobs. FlexJobs offers more volume and more advanced search tools, but it requires a paid subscription. Remote.co is free but has fewer listings.

For someone serious about finding a remote job, FlexJobs is worth the investment if you can afford it. For someone just starting their search, Remote.co is a good free alternative.

Final Verdict

FlexJobs: 7.5/10 | Remote.co: 7/10

FlexJobs is more suitable for serious job seekers. Remote.co is a solid free alternative. Both have legitimate listings, but neither guarantees job offers. Results vary by experience and application quality.

If you want to explore other remote job resources, I have a guide on remote jobs with no experience and another one covering platforms for remote design contests.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is FlexJobs worth the money compared to Remote.co?

FlexJobs is worth the money if you are serious about finding a remote job and value advanced search tools. Remote.co is a good free alternative with fewer listings.

Which platform has more job listings?

FlexJobs has significantly more job listings. Remote.co has fewer listings but they are well-curated.

Are the job listings on both platforms legitimate?

Yes. Both platforms have high-quality listings with minimal scams. FlexJobs has stronger scam protection due to its paid model.

How long does it take to find a job on these platforms?

In my experience, finding a remote job can take weeks or months. During my five-week test, I did not receive a job offer from either platform. Results vary widely.

Can I use both platforms at the same time?

Yes. Many job seekers use multiple platforms to maximize their chances. I used both simultaneously during my test.

Which platform is better for beginners?

Remote.co is more suitable for beginners because it is free. FlexJobs is more suitable for serious job seekers who want advanced tools and more listings.

Do I need a paid subscription to find remote jobs?

No. Remote.co and many other platforms are free. FlexJobs offers a paid subscription but also has a free trial.

Results vary by person. What worked for me may not work for everyone. The income figures mentioned are estimates based on my personal experience and are not typical or guaranteed.

Disclosure: Some of the links in this article point to external websites and platforms (such as FlexJobs and Remote.co) for reference and convenience only. These are not affiliate links, and we do not receive any commission, payment, or compensation from them. We are not affiliated with or sponsored by these platforms. All external links are provided solely to help readers access the original sources easily, and the content of this article is purely educational.

Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is based on personal experience and research and is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It does not constitute financial, investment, business, career, tax, or professional advice. Individual results vary based on skills, effort, market conditions, and numerous other factors. Income figures and results described are real examples but are not guarantees of what any individual will achieve. Platform policies, pay rates, and terms may change without notice. Always conduct your own research and consult with a qualified professional before making any financial decisions.

About | FAQ | Privacy Policy | Contact