TELUS International vs Appen: An Honest Breakdown for AI Training Work

AI training work has become one of the most talked-about remote jobs in recent years. The idea is simple: companies need humans to review, label, and evaluate data that trains artificial intelligence systems. Two names dominate this space: TELUS International and Appen. I spent six weeks testing both platforms to see which one actually delivers for beginners. This is my honest breakdown based on real experience.

I went into this with moderate expectations. I knew AI training work was project-based and often inconsistent. But I also knew that both platforms had been around for years and had a reputation for paying reliably. The question was whether the onboarding process, pay rates, and work availability made one clearly more suitable than the other.

Key Takeaways From My 6-Week Comparison
  • I tested both platforms for 6 weeks, tracking every project and payment.
  • Total earnings on Appen: around $124.60.
  • Total earnings on TELUS International: around $98.20.
  • Appen had more available projects but lower pay per task.
  • TELUS paid more per task but had fewer opportunities.
  • Both paid through PayPal with similar minimum thresholds.
  • This is additional income only. Results vary by project, location, and language skills.

Why I Wanted to Compare These Two Platforms

I had already tested Appen briefly in the past, but I never compared it directly with TELUS International. Both platforms kept appearing in discussions about AI training work, search engine evaluation, and data annotation. I wanted to understand the real differences between them, not just the marketing claims.

Another reason was the variety of work. AI training includes many task types: transcription, data labeling, search relevance rating, and content moderation. I wanted to see which platform offered more variety and higher pay for the effort required.

Signing Up and Getting Approved

The application process was similar on both platforms, but the timelines were different. Appen required me to create a profile, complete a language assessment, and apply for specific projects. I was approved for my first project within about a week.

TELUS International had a more detailed application. I filled out a profile, completed a language test, and waited for project invitations. The process took almost three weeks before I received my first paid task.

Total time from signup to first task: one week for Appen, three weeks for TELUS. That delay was significant, especially if you are looking for fast income.

My Week-by-Week Experience

Weeks 1-2: Onboarding and First Tasks

The first two weeks were mostly about waiting and completing qualifications. On Appen, I completed a few small tasks that paid around $2 to $5 each. The work was simple: reviewing search results and rating their relevance. I earned around $14.20 in my first two weeks.

On TELUS, I was still waiting for project approval. I completed the required training modules but did not receive any paid work until week three.

Weeks 3-4: Finding a Rhythm

By week three, I had access to more projects on both platforms. Appen offered a steady stream of small tasks. I completed batches of data labeling and search evaluation tasks. In week three, I earned around $28.40 on Appen.

TELUS finally assigned me to a project in week three. The tasks were longer and more complex, but they paid more per task. I earned around $22.10 in week three on TELUS.

Weeks 5-6: Understanding the Differences

The final two weeks made the differences clear. Appen had more work available, but many tasks paid only around $0.10 to $0.30 each. TELUS had fewer tasks, but each task paid around $1 to $5. The hourly rate ended up being similar, but the experience was different.

By the end of week six, I had earned around $124.60 on Appen and around $98.20 on TELUS.

Pay Rates and Earning Potential

Criteria Appen TELUS International
Pay per short task Around $0.10 – $0.50 Around $1 – $5
Pay per long project Around $5 – $20 Around $10 – $30
Minimum payout Around $10 Around $20
Payment method PayPal, Payoneer PayPal, Bank Transfer
Processing time ~5 days ~7 days

Work Availability and Project Variety

Appen had noticeably more available work. I could log in almost every day and find tasks. The variety was also impressive: search evaluation, data labeling, transcription, and content moderation. The downside was that many tasks paid very little.

TELUS had fewer projects, but the tasks were more substantial. I spent more time on each task, but the pay per task was higher. The projects also felt more structured, with clearer guidelines and better support.

Comparing to Other AI Training Platforms

Criteria Appen TELUS International Clickworker Neevo
Work volume High Medium Medium Low
Pay per task Low Medium Low Medium
Approval time ~1 week ~3 weeks ~3 days ~1 week
Project variety High Medium Medium Low

If you want to see how Appen compares to other platforms, I have a detailed comparison of Appen vs. Lionbridge and another guide on Appen AI training.

"Appen felt like a busy marketplace with lots of small tasks. TELUS felt more like a traditional employer with structured projects. Both paid real money, but the experience was very different."

What I Liked and What Frustrated Me

Appen Pros

  • High work volume.
  • Fast approval process.
  • Wide variety of projects.
  • Low minimum payout.
  • Flexible schedule.

Appen Cons

  • Very low pay per task.
  • Many tasks require unpaid training.
  • Inconsistent project quality.
  • Slow payment processing.
  • High competition for good projects.

TELUS Pros

  • Higher pay per task.
  • Structured projects with clear guidelines.
  • Better support and communication.
  • Professional platform.
  • Potential for long-term projects.

TELUS Cons

  • Long approval process.
  • Fewer available projects.
  • Higher minimum payout.
  • Stricter qualification requirements.
  • Slower onboarding.

Who Should Choose Which Platform?

Choose Appen if:

  • You want fast access to work.
  • You prefer many small tasks over fewer large ones.
  • You are comfortable with low pay per task.
  • You want variety in project types.
  • You are testing AI training as a beginner.

Choose TELUS International if:

  • You prefer higher pay per task.
  • You are willing to wait through a longer onboarding process.
  • You want more structured projects.
  • You are looking for longer-term work.
  • You value better support and communication.

My Honest Verdict

After six weeks of testing both platforms, I can say that both Appen and TELUS International are genuine platforms that pay real money. The difference is in the work style and pay structure. Appen offers more volume but lower pay per task. TELUS offers higher pay per task but fewer opportunities.

For a beginner looking for fast access to work, Appen is the more suitable choice. For someone willing to wait for higher-paying projects, TELUS is worth considering.

Final Verdict

Appen: 7/10 | TELUS: 6.5/10

Appen is more suitable for volume and fast access. TELUS is more suitable for higher pay per task but has a slower onboarding process. Both are established platforms that pay, but results vary by project and location.

If you want to explore other AI training options, I have a guide on micro-task AI training platforms and another one covering AI content review jobs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Which pays more, Appen or TELUS International?

TELUS International pays more per task on average, but Appen has more available work. In my experience, the total earnings ended up similar, with Appen slightly ahead due to higher volume. These are estimates and actual results vary by person.

Is Appen or TELUS better for beginners?

Appen is more suitable for beginners because the approval process is faster and there are more available tasks. TELUS has a longer onboarding but offers more structured projects.

Do both platforms pay through PayPal?

Yes. Both Appen and TELUS International pay through PayPal. Appen also offers Payoneer, and TELUS offers bank transfer in some regions.

Which platform has more work available?

In my experience, Appen had significantly more work available. I could find tasks almost every day. TELUS had fewer projects but higher pay per task.

Can I work on both platforms at the same time?

Yes. Many AI training workers use multiple platforms to maximize their income. I tested both simultaneously and found it manageable.

How long does it take to get approved?

Appen approved me for my first project within a week. TELUS International took almost three weeks. The longer wait is due to more detailed qualification requirements.

Which platform is more reliable?

Both platforms are reliable and pay as promised. Appen felt more consistent in terms of work availability. TELUS felt more professional with better support.

Results vary by person. What worked for me may not work for everyone. The income figures mentioned are estimates based on my personal experience and are not typical or guaranteed.

Disclosure: Some of the links in this article point to external websites and platforms (such as Appen, TELUS International, PayPal, and Payoneer) for reference and convenience only. These are not affiliate links, and we do not receive any commission, payment, or compensation from them. We are not affiliated with or sponsored by these platforms. All external links are provided solely to help readers access the original sources easily, and the content of this article is purely educational.

Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is based on personal experience and research and is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It does not constitute financial, investment, business, career, tax, or professional advice. Individual results vary based on project availability, skills, effort, market conditions, and numerous other factors. Income figures and results described are real examples but are not guarantees of what any individual will achieve. Platform policies, pay rates, and terms may change without notice. Always conduct your own research and consult with a qualified professional before making any financial decisions.

About | FAQ | Privacy Policy | Contact