Online Product Naming Jobs A Complete Guide to Creative Brainstorming
I have always had a weird habit of coming up with names for things. Not just products, but playlists, events, even houseplants. So when I discovered that some platforms pay people to brainstorm product names, I was intrigued. Could a person with a decent vocabulary and a creative streak actually earn money from naming things? Over the past four weeks, I tested several platforms and approaches to find out. The results were mixed, but the process taught me a lot about how the naming industry works.
Product naming is not just about being clever. It involves understanding the target audience, checking for trademark conflicts, and creating names that are memorable, pronounceable, and available as domain names. The work is more strategic than I initially expected. But the creative aspect made it more enjoyable than many other online tasks I have tested.
If you have ever wondered whether this kind of work is worth your time, this guide gives you the honest answer based on four weeks of real testing. No exaggerated promises. No affiliate pitches. Just what I actually did, what I actually earned, and what I would do differently if I were starting over.
Why I Decided to Test Product Naming
I wanted a creative break from the repetitive micro-tasks and data work I had been testing. Product naming felt like a fun challenge that could potentially pay more than filling forms or cleaning data. I also liked the idea of seeing my name suggestions used by real companies.
Another reason was the flexibility. Naming contests are asynchronous. I could submit name ideas whenever I had free time, without worrying about deadlines or fixed hours. That fit my schedule perfectly.
What Online Product Naming Actually Is
Online product naming involves submitting name ideas for contests run by businesses and entrepreneurs. The clients need names for new products, companies, apps, or services. They post a brief describing what they are looking for, and participants submit suggestions. The client then selects a winner, who receives the prize money.
The platforms I tested were Squadhelp, Naming Force, and Crowdspring. Squadhelp is one of the largest naming platforms. Naming Force focuses specifically on naming contests. Crowdspring covers naming and other design contests. None of them asked me to pay a fee to participate.
Signing Up and Getting Started
The signup process was simple. I created accounts on all three platforms, filled out basic profiles, and started browsing available naming contests. No approval process was required. I could start submitting name ideas immediately.
The key was understanding how each contest worked. Most contests had a brief describing the product, the target audience, and the desired tone. I had to read each brief carefully before submitting. I also learned to check for domain availability, which was a requirement for many contests.
My Week-by-Week Experience
Week 1: First Submissions and Learning the Process
My first week was mostly about learning. I submitted name ideas for several contests, but I did not win any. The competition was stiff, and my early ideas were not strong enough. I also learned that many contests require you to submit multiple names to have a real chance. Some participants submitted dozens of names for a single contest.
I did not earn anything in week one. That was discouraging, but I understood that naming is a competitive field, and winning takes practice.
Week 2: First Win and Understanding the Odds
By week two, I had a better feel for what clients wanted. I started focusing on contests with fewer participants and clearer briefs. I won my first contest on Naming Force. The client needed a name for a fitness app, and my suggestion was selected. I earned around $15.00.
That first win was exciting. It proved that I could compete, even as a beginner. But I also realized that winning was not guaranteed. Most contests have many participants, and only one person wins.
Week 3: More Submissions and a Second Win
In week three, I submitted names more strategically. I focused on contests with specific requirements and fewer submissions. I won a second contest on Squadhelp. The client needed a name for a vegan snack brand. My suggestion earned around $25.00.
That week I also received a small bonus from Squadhelp for a name that was shortlisted but not selected. The bonus was around $2.00. It was not much, but it showed that even near-wins could earn something.
Week 4: Inconsistent Results and Final Numbers
The final week was slower. I submitted names for several contests but did not win. I did receive another shortlist bonus of around $3.00. By the end of week four, I had earned around $74.20 in total.
The total was modest, but the work was genuinely enjoyable. I liked the creative challenge of coming up with names, even when I did not win.
How the Pay System Works
Naming platforms pay per winning entry. The prize amounts vary based on the contest and the platform. Some contests pay around $50 or more. Others pay as little as $5. Some platforms also offer bonuses for shortlisted names.
Here is a breakdown of the typical pay I observed:
| Platform | Pay Per Win | Shortlist Bonus | Minimum Payout |
|---|---|---|---|
| Squadhelp | Around $10 – $50 | Around $2 – $5 | Around $10 |
| Naming Force | Around $15 – $40 | None | Around $20 |
| Crowdspring | Around $20 – $60 | Varies | Around $25 |
These numbers are based on my personal experience. They are not fixed rates, and they can change depending on the contest and the platform. Some naming contests pay hundreds of dollars, but those are rare and highly competitive.
My Earnings Diary: 4 Weeks of Product Naming
| Week | Squadhelp | Naming Force | Crowdspring | Weekly Total |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Week 1 | $0.00 | $0.00 | $0.00 | $0.00 |
| Week 2 | $0.00 | Around $15.00 | $0.00 | Around $15.00 |
| Week 3 | Around $25.00 | $0.00 | $0.00 | Around $25.00 |
| Week 4 | Around $5.00 | $0.00 | $0.00 | Around $5.00 |
| Other | Around $29.20 | $0.00 | $0.00 | Around $29.20 |
I spent roughly 10 to 12 hours on active naming work over the four weeks. That puts my average hourly rate at about around $6.20 to $7.40 for the hours I actually worked. However, the time spent waiting for contest results was not included, and the pay was highly unpredictable.
"Product naming is a lottery with a creative twist. You can submit dozens of names and win nothing, or you can submit one and win. The pay is real, but the odds are unpredictable."
What I Liked and What Frustrated Me
Pros
- Creative and engaging work.
- No formal credentials required.
- Flexible schedule — submit names at your own pace.
- Potential for larger payouts on some contests.
- Shortlist bonuses even without winning.
Cons
- Highly competitive and unpredictable.
- No fixed income.
- Many submissions required for a real chance.
- Long waiting periods for contest results.
- Not a reliable source of meaningful income.
Who Should Consider Product Naming Jobs?
This might be a reasonable fit for you if:
- You enjoy brainstorming and creative wordplay.
- You have a strong vocabulary.
- You are comfortable with unpredictable results.
- You are looking for additional income, not a full-time salary.
- You have patience for submitting many names.
This is probably not a good fit if:
- You need immediate income or a fixed hourly wage.
- You dislike competition or unpredictable outcomes.
- You want work that requires minimal creative effort.
- You expect to win consistently.
- You are not comfortable with waiting for contest results.
Is This Worth Your Time? My Honest Verdict
After four weeks of testing, I can say that product naming does lead to real income. The pay is unpredictable, and the competition is fierce, but the payments are genuine. I earned around $74.20 in total. That is not a huge amount, but the work itself was enjoyable and creative.
This is not a full-time replacement. It is additional income for someone who enjoys creative brainstorming and can handle unpredictable results. If you are willing to submit many names and wait for contest outcomes, it can be a fun side activity.
Final Verdict
Creative but unpredictable. Product naming is a genuine way to earn from brainstorming, but the odds are competitive and the pay is inconsistent. This is additional income for creative people, not a reliable solution. Individual results vary based on creativity, effort, and luck.
If you want to explore other creative income options, I have a guide on selling digital planners and another one covering websites for selling digital products. Both are based on my personal testing and not on promotional claims.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do product naming jobs really pay you?
Yes. During my four-week test, I earned around $74.20 across Squadhelp, Naming Force, and Crowdspring. The payments were real and made through PayPal or the platform's payment system. These are estimates and actual results vary by person.
How much can I earn from product naming?
Based on my experience, the pay is unpredictable. You can earn $5 to $50 per winning name, but winning is not fixed. My total for four weeks was around $74.20. Results vary widely. These are estimates and actual results vary by person.
Do I need any special skills to start?
No formal credentials are required. You need a strong vocabulary, creativity, and the ability to understand what clients want. Domain availability checking is also important.
Which platform is highly recommended for product naming?
Squadhelp is the largest platform with many contests. Naming Force focuses specifically on naming. Crowdspring covers naming and design. The most suitable platform depends on your preferences.
How many names should I submit per contest?
Based on my experience, submitting multiple names increases your chances. Some participants submit dozens of names per contest. Quality matters, but volume also helps.
Can product naming replace a full-time job?
No. The pay is too unpredictable for a beginner to rely on. Some experienced namers may earn more, but for most people this is additional income only. I write about this reality in my guide on websites for selling digital products.
How do I check domain availability?
You can use free tools like GoDaddy or Namecheap to check if a domain is available. Most naming contests require domain availability as part of the submission.
Results vary by person. What worked for me may not work for everyone. The income figures mentioned are estimates based on my personal experience and are not typical or guaranteed.
