Testing Online Product Description Writing Jobs My Experience and Honest Feedback
I have always enjoyed writing. Not the kind of writing that wins awards, but the kind that explains things clearly and helps people make decisions. Product description writing felt like a natural fit. The idea of getting paid to describe products in a way that helps shoppers understand what they are buying sounded simple enough. Over the past five weeks, I tested several platforms that offer product description writing jobs. This is my honest account of what the work was really like, how much I earned, and whether it is worth pursuing.
I went into this with moderate expectations. I knew the pay would not be amazing, but I hoped it would be higher than the low-paying micro-tasks I had tested before. Product description writing requires a specific skill: the ability to write clearly, persuasively, and concisely. That skill should be worth something, right? The answer turned out to be more complicated than I expected.
If you have ever wondered whether this kind of work is worth your time, this guide gives you the honest answer based on five weeks of real testing. No exaggerated promises. No affiliate pitches. Just what I actually did, what I actually earned, and what I would do differently if I were starting over.
- I tested 3 platforms: Textbroker, WriterAccess, and Freelancer.
- Total verified earnings after 5 weeks: around $112.50.
- Average pay per description ranged from around $4 to $12.
- Each description took between 30 minutes and 2 hours depending on length and research.
- All platforms required writing samples or an approval process.
- This is additional income only. Results vary by writing skill, niche, and client demand.
Why I Wanted to Test Product Description Writing
I have been testing online working websites for a while, and most of the work I tried was repetitive and low-skill. Product description writing felt like a step up. It required actual writing ability, which I believed I had. I also liked the idea of working with words instead of clicking buttons or filling forms.
Another reason was the potential for growth. If I could build a portfolio of product descriptions, I might be able to increase my rates over time. That is not possible with most micro-tasks, where the pay is fixed and never improves. The question was whether I could break into this space without a formal writing background.
What Product Description Writing Actually Is
Product description writing involves creating short, persuasive text that describes a product for an online store or marketplace. The goal is to help customers understand what the product is, what it does, and why they should buy it. Descriptions can range from a single sentence to several paragraphs, depending on the client's needs.
The platforms I tested were Textbroker, WriterAccess, and Freelancer. Textbroker is a content mill that connects writers with clients who need articles and product descriptions. WriterAccess is a more curated platform with higher rates. Freelancer is a general marketplace where I could bid on writing jobs. None of them asked me to pay a fee to apply, which was a good sign.
Signing Up and Getting Approved
The signup process was more involved than I expected. I had to submit writing samples, complete a grammar test, and wait for approval. The samples were important because they determined my initial rating and pay rate.
Textbroker had a straightforward application. I submitted a short writing sample and was approved within a few days. My initial rating was 3 out of 5 stars, which meant I could access lower-paying orders. WriterAccess was more selective. I had to create a detailed profile, submit multiple samples, and wait about a week for approval. Freelancer allowed me to start bidding immediately after creating a profile, but the competition was fierce.
Total time from signup to first real paid task: roughly one week across all three platforms. That is faster than search engine evaluation, but slower than micro-task platforms.
My Week-by-Week Experience
Week 1: First Orders and Learning the Style
My first week was mostly about finding my footing. I completed my first order on Textbroker: a 200-word description for a kitchen gadget. The instructions were clear, and the pay was around $4.00. It took me about an hour to write, including research. That worked out to $4 per hour, which is not great.
I also bid on a few jobs on Freelancer. Most of my bids were rejected because I had no reviews yet. That was frustrating, but I understood that building a reputation takes time.
Week 2: Finding Higher Paying Orders
By week two, I started finding slightly higher paying orders. I completed two product descriptions on Textbroker for around $5.00 each. I also landed my first Freelancer job: a batch of five short descriptions for a clothing store. The client paid around $25.00 total, which worked out to around $5.00 per description. It took me about three hours to complete the entire batch, including revisions.
That week I earned around $35.00. The work was still not highly paid, but I was getting faster and more comfortable with the style.
Week 3: WriterAccess Approval and Higher Rates
By week three, I finally got approved on WriterAccess. The platform assigned me a rating based on my samples, and I could start applying for orders. The pay rates were noticeably higher than Textbroker. I completed a product description for a tech accessory that paid around $12.00. It took me about an hour and a half, including research and revisions.
That week I earned around $28.50. The higher rate on WriterAccess made the work feel more worthwhile.
Weeks 4-5: Inconsistent Work and Final Numbers
The final two weeks were less consistent. Textbroker had a steady stream of low-paying orders, but the higher paying ones disappeared quickly. WriterAccess had fewer orders available, but the pay was higher. Freelancer bidding remained competitive, and I only won one more job.
By the end of week five, I had earned around $112.50 in total. That is a reasonable amount compared to some other online work I have tested, but the time spent writing and revising was significant.
How the Pay System Works
Product description writing platforms pay per word, per description, or per project. The rates vary based on the platform, your rating, and the client's budget. Some platforms set fixed rates, while others allow you to bid.
Here is a breakdown of the typical pay I observed:
| Platform | Pay Per Description | Pay Per Word | Minimum Payout |
|---|---|---|---|
| Textbroker | Around $3 – $8 | Around $0.01 – $0.03 | Around $10 |
| WriterAccess | Around $8 – $20 | Around $0.05 – $0.10 | Around $20 |
| Freelancer | Around $5 – $15 (varies by bid) | Varies | Around $10 |
These numbers are based on my personal experience. They are not fixed rates, and they can change depending on the client, the niche, and your experience level. Some product description writers charge around $50 or more per description, but that requires a strong portfolio and established reputation.
My Earnings Diary: 5 Weeks of Product Description Writing
| Week | Textbroker | WriterAccess | Freelancer | Weekly Total |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Week 1 | Around $4.00 | $0.00 | $0.00 | Around $4.00 |
| Week 2 | Around $10.00 | $0.00 | Around $25.00 | Around $35.00 |
| Week 3 | Around $8.50 | Around $12.00 | Around $8.00 | Around $28.50 |
| Week 4 | Around $10.00 | Around $8.00 | $0.00 | Around $18.00 |
| Week 5 | Around $12.00 | Around $15.00 | $0.00 | Around $27.00 |
I spent roughly 15 to 18 hours on active writing work over the five weeks. That puts my average hourly rate at about around $6.25 to $7.50. That is higher than micro-tasks, but still not impressive. The time spent researching and revising was often more than I expected.
"Product description writing is real work that pays real money. The pay is higher than surveys or data entry, but it is not a quick path to riches. It rewards good writing and patience."
What I Liked and What Frustrated Me
Pros
- Creative work that uses writing skills.
- Higher pay than most micro-tasks.
- Flexible schedule — I wrote late at night.
- Potential to increase rates over time.
- No formal credentials required, though samples help.
Cons
- Inconsistent work availability.
- Low starting rates on some platforms.
- Revisions can eat into your hourly rate.
- Competition on marketplaces is high.
- Requires real writing ability and attention to detail.
Who Should Consider Product Description Writing?
This might be a reasonable fit for you if:
- You enjoy writing and have a good command of English.
- You can explain things clearly and persuasively.
- You want creative work that is not repetitive.
- You are looking for additional income, not a full-time salary.
- You have patience for building a portfolio and increasing rates.
This is probably not a good fit if:
- You dislike writing or struggle with grammar.
- You need immediate income or a fixed hourly wage.
- You want work that requires minimal effort or no learning curve.
- You are not comfortable with client revisions and feedback.
- You expect to earn $15+ per hour within your first month.
Is This Worth Your Time? My Honest Verdict
After five weeks of testing, I can say that product description writing does lead to real income. The pay is higher than many other online tasks, and the work is more creative. But the starting rates are low, and the time spent researching and revising can eat into your earnings. I earned around $112.50 in total. That is a reasonable amount for a side income, but it is not a replacement for a full-time job.
This is additional income for someone who enjoys writing and has patience for building a portfolio. If you are willing to put in the time, you can potentially increase your rates over time.
Final Verdict
Creative and real, but slow to build. Product description writing is a genuine way to earn from writing. The pay is higher than micro-tasks, but the starting rates are low and the work is inconsistent. This is additional income, not a full-time solution. Individual results vary based on writing skill, effort, and market demand.
If you want to explore other writing-related options, I have a guide on websites that pay for freelance writing and another one covering freelance writing for beginners. Both are based on my personal testing and not on promotional claims.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do product description writing jobs really pay you?
Yes. During my five-week test, I earned around $112.50 across Textbroker, WriterAccess, and Freelancer. The payments were real and made through PayPal. The amounts are modest but genuine. These are estimates and actual results vary by person.
How much can I earn from product description writing?
Based on my experience, beginners can expect to earn between around $6 and $10 per hour. My total for five weeks was around $112.50. Results vary by writing skill and platform rates. These are estimates and actual results vary by person.
Do I need writing experience to start?
No formal writing credentials are required, but you need a good command of English and the ability to write clearly. Submitting writing samples is usually required during the application process.
Which platform is highly recommended for product description writing?
Textbroker is good for beginners because it has a simple approval process. WriterAccess offers higher rates but is more selective. Freelancer allows you to bid on projects but has high competition. The most suitable platform depends on your experience and goals.
How long does it take to get approved?
Approval times vary. Textbroker approved me within a few days, WriterAccess took about a week, and Freelancer allowed me to start bidding immediately after creating a profile.
Can product description writing replace a full-time job?
In my experience, no. The work is too inconsistent and the starting pay is too low for a beginner to rely on. Some experienced writers may earn more, but for most people this is additional income only. I write about this reality in my guide on websites that pay for freelance writing.
What tools do I need to start?
You need a reliable computer, a stable internet connection, and a word processor. Grammar tools like Grammarly can help improve your writing quality.
Results vary by person. What worked for me may not work for everyone. The income figures mentioned are estimates based on my personal experience and are not typical or guaranteed.
