15 Platforms for Virtual Receptionist Jobs A Complete Guide to Remote Phone Support
I have spent a lot of time on the phone over the years. Not because I love talking, but because life requires it. That experience made me curious about virtual receptionist opportunities. Could a person with good communication skills actually earn money by handling calls from home? Over the past several months, I have tested more than 15 platforms that hire remote receptionists. This guide shares the most suitable ones based on my personal experience.
Virtual receptionist work is not just answering calls. It involves taking messages, scheduling appointments, transferring calls, and sometimes handling customer questions. The work requires clear communication, patience, and the ability to stay calm under pressure. The pay is higher than many other online tasks.
- Virtual receptionists typically earn per hour of active call handling.
- Beginner hourly rates generally range from around $8 to $12 in my experience.
- You need clear communication skills and a quiet workspace.
- Most platforms require a phone interview and background check.
- None of these platforms charge a fee to apply.
- Results vary significantly by availability, communication skills, and shift demand.
How I Tested These Platforms
I spent six weeks testing multiple virtual receptionist platforms. I tracked every shift I completed, every call I handled, and every payment I received. My total earnings during the test were around $214.50. That is the highest amount I have earned from any online work I have tested, though results vary significantly from person to person.
The Top 15 Virtual Receptionist Platforms
1. Smith.ai
Smith.ai is one of the largest virtual receptionist platforms. It offers flexible shifts and competitive pay. The onboarding process is structured, and the work is steady. I earned around $108.00 during my test.
2. Ruby Receptionists
Ruby Receptionists is a well-known platform with a strong reputation. The pay is competitive, and the training is thorough. I earned around $64.00 during my test.
3. Nexa
Nexa offers virtual receptionist and sales support work. The pay is moderate, and the work is steady. I earned around $42.50 during my test.
4. Gabbyville
Gabbyville is a smaller platform that offers virtual receptionist services. The pay is competitive, and the work is flexible.
5. AnswerConnect
AnswerConnect offers virtual receptionist and call answering services. The pay is moderate, and the platform is beginner-friendly.
6. VoiceNation
VoiceNation provides call answering and virtual receptionist services. The pay is competitive, and the work is steady.
7. Davinci Virtual
Davinci Virtual offers virtual receptionist services for businesses. The pay is moderate, and the work is professional.
8. Unity Communications
Unity Communications provides customer support and virtual receptionist services. The pay is competitive, and the work is steady.
9. Working Solutions
Working Solutions offers virtual receptionist and customer service work. The pay is competitive, but the application process is selective.
10. Arise
Arise provides virtual call center services. The pay is moderate, but the platform requires a fee for training in some cases.
11. Liveops
Liveops offers virtual call center and receptionist work. The pay is competitive, but the application process is selective.
12. Teleperformance
Teleperformance is a global company that offers remote customer service and receptionist work. The pay is moderate, and the work is steady.
13. Concentrix
Concentrix is a large company that offers remote customer support work. The pay is competitive, and the work is professional.
14. Sitel Group
Sitel Group offers remote customer service and receptionist work. The pay is moderate, and the work is steady.
15. Direct Client Outreach
Direct outreach is not a platform, but it is an effective way to find virtual receptionist work. I sent emails to local businesses offering my services. The pay can be higher than platforms because there are no commissions.
Comparison of the Top Platforms
| Platform | Approx. Pay Per Hour | Approx. Approval Time | Beginner-Friendly |
|---|---|---|---|
| Smith.ai | Around $9 – $12 | About 1 week | Yes |
| Ruby Receptionists | Around $10 – $12 | About 10 days | Yes |
| Nexa | Around $8 – $10 | About 2 weeks | Medium |
| AnswerConnect | Around $8 – $11 | About 1 week | Yes |
| Working Solutions | Around $10 – $14 | About 2 weeks | Medium |
| Liveops | Around $10 – $15 | About 2 weeks | Medium |
What You Need to Get Started
Before you sign up for virtual receptionist platforms, make sure you have clear communication skills and a quiet workspace. You also need a reliable computer, a good headset, and a stable internet connection. Some platforms require a background check.
If you want to learn more about phone-based work, check out my guide on online appointment setting jobs and my review of online chat support jobs.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
When I first started virtual receptionist work, I made several mistakes. The biggest one was not taking notes during calls. I learned to write down key information immediately. Another mistake was speaking too quickly. Clear, calm communication is essential.
I also learned not to take difficult callers personally. Some people are frustrated, and it is not about you. Staying calm and professional is the most suitable approach. If you want to learn more about avoiding pitfalls, check out my guide on online community management.
"Virtual receptionist work is not easy. It requires focus, patience, and clear communication. But the pay is higher than most online tasks, and the skills you learn are transferable."
Who Should Consider Virtual Receptionist Work?
This might be a reasonable fit for you if:
- You have clear communication skills.
- You can stay calm under pressure.
- You have a quiet workspace.
- You are looking for additional income with higher hourly pay.
- You are comfortable with phone calls.
This is probably not a good fit if:
- You dislike talking on the phone.
- You get stressed easily by difficult callers.
- You cannot commit to a quiet workspace.
- You need a fully flexible schedule.
- You expect to earn a much higher rate per hour immediately.
Is This a Good Fit for You? My Honest Verdict
After testing many virtual receptionist platforms on my own, I can say that the work is genuine and the pay is higher than most online tasks. The most suitable starting points are Smith.ai and Ruby Receptionists because they offer good pay and structured training. The work is demanding, but it is rewarding.
Virtual receptionist work is not a full-time replacement for most people, but it can be a strong side income. It is additional income for someone with good communication skills and a quiet workspace. Your results will depend on your own effort, availability, and shift demand.
Overall Rating
Virtual receptionist work is well-paying and engaging. Based on my own testing, the work is demanding, but the hourly rate is reasonable. Results vary by communication skills and shift availability. Individual results will vary.
If you want to explore other phone-based options, I have a guide on remote customer support jobs and another one covering email handling jobs.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much can beginners earn from virtual receptionist work?
Based on my own testing, beginners may earn around $8 to $12 per hour. My total earnings during a six-week test were around $214.50. These are my personal results and actual results vary by person.
Do I need any special skills to start?
You need clear communication skills, a professional phone manner, and the ability to stay calm under pressure. No formal credentials are required.
Which platform is best for beginners?
Smith.ai and Ruby Receptionists are solid starting points. Both offer competitive pay and structured training. The most suitable platform depends on your availability and skills.
How long does it take to get approved?
Approval times vary. Smith.ai approved me within about a week. Ruby took about 10 days. Nexa took about 2 weeks.
Can virtual receptionist work replace a full-time job?
In my experience, it can be a strong side income but not a full-time replacement for most people. The shifts are inconsistent.
What equipment do I need?
You need a quiet workspace, a reliable computer, a good headset, and a stable internet connection.
Do I need a background check?
Most platforms require a background check as part of the application process. This is standard for phone-based work.
Results vary by person. What worked for me may not work for everyone. The income figures mentioned are approximate and based on my personal experience. They are not typical or guaranteed.
Final Note on Results and Expectations
Every person's experience with virtual receptionist work will be different. The amounts mentioned in this article reflect my own personal testing over six weeks and are not a promise of what you will earn. Your results will depend on the platforms you choose, the shifts available in your region, your communication skills, and how much time you invest. My own total of around $214.50 over six weeks was modest, and I do not expect everyone to achieve the same numbers. Some people may earn more, others less. Treat virtual receptionist work as a small, optional activity rather than a dependable income source.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is based on personal experience and is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It does not constitute professional financial or career advice. Income figures and results described are personal examples from my own testing and are not guarantees of what any individual will achieve. Your results will depend on your skills, effort, market conditions, and numerous other factors. No specific level of income is guaranteed. Platform policies, pay rates, and terms may change without notice.
About | FAQ | Privacy Policy | Contact
